Chateau estate and eco village development for sale –whole estate or co-ownership
Chateau de Cautine, St Privat 19220, Correze, France
Plans and permissions are in place for an eco hamlet to be created, on this fully restored, 17th century chateau estate in rural France. Outline planning permission has been achieved to create a small eco-village around the chateau of approximately 15 houses for residential and/or holiday use.
We plan full permaculture systems for the whole site to produce most of the food, water and energy needed.
The property lies in the heart of 12 hectares/30 acres of fields, parkland and forest in the midst of quiet, deep-green nature, surrounded by hills & mountains, forests & lakes in the eastern Dordogne, one of most unspoilt regions of France.
Current facilities include…
• The chateau, renovated with full central heating, new plumbing and electrics (fully furnished and equipped for up to 20 guests)
• A restored 3-bedroom cottage
• A large swimming pool
• 2 wells
• 2 large barns and a piggery
• 30 acres/12.5 hectares of land comprising forests, fields and wetlands;
• Building land with outline permission to create a hamlet of houses with initial plans for 15.
• Site drawings, layout and studies are prepared and ready to submit for detailed planning
permission (relating to approval for the house designs and services/facilities on the site).
• Quotations for site works have been received.
• Pre-designed and costed off-grid eco houses plans ready.
The chateau was bought by the current owners in 2004 for €795,000 and over €300,000 has been
invested in its refurbishment. It was run as a successful holiday and event rental with a turnover
of €30-€40k per annum (2013 to 2015). The original development plans include the chateau ‘hub’
offering education, leisure and cultural activities for both visitors and residents; a small restaurant
in the chateau; a multi-functional workshop space; the swimming pool (existing); a sauna and a
communal space, as well as access to acres of forest and fields on the property The whole site
aims to be a showcase for sustainable living.
House Construction: Granite (chateau), wood (eco cabins)
Roof Construction: Stone slates (chateau), grass/vegetative (eco-cabins)
House-insulation: None at the moment (chateau); pure wool (eco-cabins)
Roof-insulation: None at the moment (chateau); to be confirmed for eco-cabins
Window-glazing: Double glazed
Heating-house: The chateau has oil heating at the moment but plans are to transform this as part of the project work; The eco-cabins will have solar powered underfloor heating.
Heating-water: The chateau has oil heating at the moment but plans are to transform this as part of the project work; The eco-cabins will have solar hot water.
Cooking method: Gas in the chateau at the moment; The eco-cabins will have wood burner cookers
Electricity: Mains in the chateau at the moment. The eco-cabins will be off-grid with solar, 12-V system and batteries.
Water: There are two wells on the property and a lot of spring water. We plan to use these sources for water both in the chateau and the eco-cabins. Currently, the chateau is plumbed into the well water but not using it as the wells need to be cleaned and tested before we move over to them.
Joining members & house building: The project plans include the sale of 15 shares to members for approximately €150,000 per share which includes the funds to build each family a house of 50 sqm (please see our house designs in the photos on link below)
Ongoing project running
Please contact Ruth for an Income and Expenditure breakdown either directly via her details below or by using the contact form opposite.
Income possibilities :
• Chateau rentals & learning income – either whole house or rooms for individual stays, events, workshops etc.;
• Eco tourism, shop, cafe, catering & gardens – currently a local tourist site Les Tours de Merle has 27k visitors per year so it is possible to get on the map and do tours of the gardens here with visitors using the cafe and shop;
• Community Supported Agriculture food growing – this is growing in popularity and with approx. 6 hectares of land to use for food growing, this can bring in a substantial income – based on the popular system of Community Supported Agriculture, the standard production per hectare based on selling one year’s supply of vegetables in advance is €250 per person per year to 250 people per hectare providing an income of €62500 per hectare, 6 hectares can earn €375000 per annum ;
Owners opinion on sustainable features: The whole property has designs and permission and can be a fully sustainable site within 5 years – income, electricity, water, food and heating.
Other: please see links below:
Aerial video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwhbPdUxNE
Project environmental impact study: https://drive.google.com/open?id=17Bod-RqA119n42LL_O7T_GaUw-s9Auv7
And our website: http://www.eco-chateau.com
Contact: Ruth Phillips, Chateau de Cautine, St Privat 19220, Correze, France
Phone / WhatApp: +44 (0)7401 008 132 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
- Type: Rural Property
- Area Size : 120000 sq m
- Electricity - Mains
- Electricity - Solar Panels
- Swimming Pool
- Vegetable Garden
- Water - mains
- Water - Spring/Bore/Well potable