This property has now been sold.
Unique 600-year old watermill refurbished to high standards operating as B&B with camping facilities. Award-winning large 270 sqm 5-bed, 3 bathroom property, numerous terraces, pool and 1 hectare of land. Only 10-minute drive from Europe’s best beaches, town with shops, local produce market, restaurants and bars. Airport 45 minutes away.
Asking price: 270,000 Euros
The property has to be viewed to be appreciated fully.
The lodge has been designed so that it can also be split into three independent apartments, one with two bedrooms, one with one bedroom and a studio, There are four sunny and shaded patio areas and an additional detached studio ( a caretaker’s accommodation). Contemporary Kitchen-Lounge and floral terraces, en-suite bedrooms and leafy Moorish patio add to the charm. The land amounting to one hectare has gardens with a small olive grove with mature trees and numerous other young fruit trees including pomegranate, fig, orange, carob, lemon and nispero (loquat).
Some USPs include:
– An award-winning character property with many unique features including embedded millstones, grilles and mosaics. The property has the original water tank behind the building about the size of an Olympic pool and original water channels. There is an old threshing area, a stream & from parts of the land it is possible to glimpse the sea in the distance.
– Excellent location. The nearest town with all amenities is 10 km away. Almeria airport is reached in 35 minutes and the town of Mojacar is 25 minutes away where you will find all amenities, international supermarkets, shops etc.
– The protected Natural Park Location is totally free from development. Many designated walking trails and horse riding facilities closeby.
– The eco-lodge is solar-powered and restored using ecological materials thus making it a healthy place to live in and run a business.
– The property stays fresh with a natural stream flowing under one of the bedrooms with its own cave.
– Potential for further development offered by one small ruin with land.
House Construction: The property is 70% Stone & slate (sourced from the mill’s riverbed), hemp and yeso plaster used is quarried and sourced locally. Cement is sourced locally.
Roof Construction: Traditional concrete flat roof with wood-beamed ceilings. Flat roof design to capture and store rain water.
House-insulation: Hemp, lime, straw – Hemp & lime rendered walls. External walls are 2.5 ft. thick made with local stone and coated and insulated with three hemp layers and internally with two layers of local yeso plaster and paint. The walls cool the house in the summer and hold warmth in the winter.
Under-floor straw insulation, helping cool the floor in the summer and warm it in the winter.
Roof-insulation: Thick Timber structure act as insulation.
Window-construction: 100% windows and doors reclaimed. Wood and single glazed.
75% of all timber reclaimed or from sustainable sources.
Heating-house:Wood burners with ducting that distribute warm air to other rooms, gas heaters if needed.
Heating-water:Solar water collector, gas boiler.
Cooking method:Bottled gas.
Electricity:Entirely solar powered with generator ( backup).
Water:Mains water. The roof water is captured into a water tank/dip pool treated with ozone in the front of the property and reused to irrigate the gardens.
– Automatic irrigation systems from sinks, baths and showers water the gardens.
Food-production:Olives and olive oil production for home use.
Garden produces some nispero’s, lemons, oranges, tomatoes and herbs.
Income possibilities:Accommodation rentals,
Walking and painting holidays.
Museum and tourist attraction
Retreats/ Spa facilities
Owners opinion on sustainable features:The eco-lodge was designed for contemporary living and renovated to the highest standards using high quality natural materials. The building is built into the rock and has a cave within the property, which channels cool air from the stream underneath the building. Above the cave is a grill embedded in the floor through which the cooler air enters the living space above, providing a natural and cost-free air conditioning in the summer.
The design fuses original ancient design with practical and artistic touches. The building has many original features and restored traditionally woven cane and beam ceilings. Antique windows and stable style doors were reformed. Slate and original ceramic tiles were cleaned and relayed, cobble stones for the drive and sandstone slabs for the doorsteps.
Other:The property is designed to be very affordable to run. No electric bills, low gas and water bills.